A fotografia mostra uma casa que não ardeu durante os fogos perto de Cle Elum no estado de Washington. O fotografo, membro da família diz que foi implementada uma “zona desmilitarizada” de medidas preventivas em volta da casa, implantada numa zona de risco.
- LPG tanks should be far enough away from buildings for valves to be shut off in case of fire. Keep area around the tank clear of flammable vegetation.
- Store gasoline in an approved safety can away from occupied buildings.
- All combustibles such as firewood, wooden picnic tables, boats, stacked lumber, etc. should be kept away from structures.
- Clear roof surfaces and gutters regularly to avoid build-up of flammable materials such as leaves and other debris.
- Remove branches from trees to a height of 15 feet or more.
In rural areas, clear a fuel break of at least 3 times the fuel length around all structures.
- Have fire tools handy such as: ladder long enough to reach your roof, shovel, rake, and a bucket or two for water.
- Place connected garden hoses at all sides of your home for emergency use.
- Assure that you and your family know all emergency exits from your home.
- Assure that you and your family know all emergency exits from your neighborhood.
Uma demonstração de que a maioria dos burocratas não percebe do assunto está no caso deste australiano, «The family of four had discussed evacuation but decided their property was defensible, due largely to their decision to clear a fire break. It also helped that Mr Sheahan, his son Rowan and daughter Kirsten were all experienced members of the local CFA. We prayed and we worked bloody hard.»